A scarce and extremely interesting Georgian engraving offering views of Portsmouth and Gosport, contained in an antique frame.
A South East View of Portsmouth
Engraved by J. Waters and dated 28 March 1765
Contained within an antique birdseye-maple frame
Overall size including frame: 43.8 x 59.5 cm
This view looking westward from Southsea Castle clearly shows the strong fortifications around Portsmouth, which was then a much more compact city largely confined to the area known today as Old Portsmouth. The tower of St Thomas's Church (not then a cathedral) stands proudly above the city and Fort Blockhouse and the new Haslar Hospital are clearly visible in Gosport.
A key at the lower margin denotes some other buildings and landmarks - including the remains of John Felton's gibbet which had stood on the beach at Southsea since his execution in 1628 for murdering the Duke of Buckingham, and which amazingly remained in place until the 1780s.