J. & F. Harwood, London, publishers
Contained in an antique birds-eye maple frame with gilt slip
Overall size including frame: 22.7 x 25.8 cm
Hand coloured engraving depicting the floating bridge with Gosport beyond. Gosport Market House stands prominently in the centre, built to a classical design in 1811 and partly destroyed during WWII before being finally demolished in the 1960s. It stood on the site of what is now Coffee #1 at the end of the High Street.
The upper part of the The Isle of Wight Hoy public house, which stood opposite the market house at the end of the High Street, is also visible. In the foreground is the floating bridge (also known as the chain ferry) which conveyed passengers, livestock and later vehicles across to the Point at Old Portsmouth and operated until 1959. The chains of the floating bridge can be seen attached to its mounts in the white building above the Gosport shoreline. To the right watermen can be seen carrying some well-dressed passengers across the harbour in smaller boats.