Gosport Railway Station 1841 - Antique Engraving
An original hand coloured engraving, published by J. & F. Harwood, London, 21 December, 1841
Title: Gosport Railway Terminus
Framed and glazed in our studio using conservation materials
Overall size including frame 32.6 x 36.9 cm
Depicting Gosport railway station around the time that it opened in 1841.
Gosport benefitted from a railway line and station before neighbouring Portsmouth, due to disagreements between the city and the London & South Western Railway. The terminus station at Spring Garden Lane was built on a former nursery ground and garden and, as Gosport was then a fortified town, the station was situated outside of the town ramparts and was also required to be low in height so as not to interfere with the sighting of artillery. The building was designed by Sir William Tite and, being a terminus station, was of an attractive classical form costing nearly £11,000 - nearly eight times the expense of nearby Fareham station! The station would later become associated with Queen Victoria who passed through the station on her way to Osborne House after its completion in 1846.