A very scarce engraving of Gosport Railway Station, the first time we have ever seen this particular print in over forty years of trading.
Depicting coaches arriving and departing from the station soon after it was opened in 1842
J. Hammond Junior, High Street, Gosport, publisher
The Railway Terminus, Gosport
Engraved by Le Blond & Co., London, after J.W. Thompson
Contained in an antique frame
Overall size including frame: 24.1 x 28.4 cm
Gosport was chosen to have a railway station before its larger neighbour Portsmouth owing to a dispute between railway companies, and the line opened on 7 February 1842 after some delays caused by a collapsed tunnel at Fareham. The station was designed by eminent architect William Tite and built in a particularly grand manner for a provincial station, probably because it was a terminus station of the London and South Western Railway. The cost of building it, £10,980, was several times higher than nearby Fareham station whose building costs amounted to just £1391. The station, unfortunately, was built outside of the town centre owing to a military ruling that prevented it from being built within the fortifications.