Signed Etching by W.L. Wyllie RA (1851-1931) - Rebuilding the Semaphore Tower, HM Dockyard Portsmouth
original etching with drypoint, signed in pencil
Framed & glazed in our studio using conservation materials
Dimensions of plate mark: 16.4 x 37.8 cm
Overall dimensions including frame: 42.9 x 62.5 cm
This fine etching shows the current semaphore tower under construction in the 1920s. The tower opened in 1930 and is built of stone as a replica of the original, incorporating the old Lion Gate (1778) from the Portsea fortification. HMS Victory, taken in to Dry Dock No. 2 in 1922, can be seen to the right.
The Semaphore Tower in Portsmouth Dockyard was destroyed by fire on 20th December 1913. The fire was noticed first by a fishmonger's delivery boy leaving the battlecruiser Queen Mary at 7.30pm, and by 9.30pm the tower had collapsed into the building. Two signalman who were on duty in the tower were killed.