Watercolour of King William Gate, Portsmouth
A meticulously drawn watercolour depicting the gate as it appeared in the mid 19th century
Unsigned, framed and glazed
Overall size including frame: 42 x 53.6 cm
King William Gate was constructed in 1834, and was the last of the gates into Portsmouth to be built. It was located at the eastern end of what is now Pembroke Road (then called Green Row) and cut through the ramparts with a footbridge over the moat, improving access towards Southsea which was then being developed. The gate was demolished in 1876 along with many of the old city defences. The brick gatehouse which stood inside the gate still stands on Pembroke Road as a private residence.